The city is ideally situated; large urban centres such as The Hague and Amsterdam are just a stone’s throw away. The city boasts excellent international accessibility, with Schiphol International Airport at 25 minutes’ distance. The North Sea shore lies 12 kilometres to the west of Leiden.
National and international connections
Leiden is well-connected by train, car and plane. Schiphol international Airport has direct connections to more than 300 locations throughout the world, and is just a 15-minute train journey from Leiden. The intercity train runs six times per hour. The journey to Leiden is quicker than the journey to Amsterdam, and travellers arrive right in the centre of the city, within walking distance of hotels and conference or meeting locations.
Leiden is very accessible using public transport. Trains stop at Leiden Central Station from several directions. From this station, travellers can stroll right into the city centre. Buses run frequently, to practically every location in the city.
Leiden is situated between two large motorways, the A4 and the A44. Cars can park on Haagweg, at the edge of the city centre. From there, free shuttle buses depart to every destination in the city, and visitors can be picked up with just one phone call.
Canals circle and cut through Leiden’s monumental centre. Almost all locations and hotels are within walking distance of each other, and most are also easily accessible by boat.
At a glance
- Shorter trip from Schiphol International Airport to Leiden than to Amsterdam
- 8 trains an hour from Schiphol International Airport to Leiden
- Leiden Central Station is at a junction of train tracks between Amsterdam (35 minutes), The Hague (15 minutes), Rotterdam (30 minutes) and Utrecht (45 minutes)
- Leiden Central Station is within walking distance of most hotels and conference locations
- In the historical city centre, everything is easily accessible on foot or by bike
- Reach Leiden quickly by car using the A4, A44 and N11 motorways
- Unique City Parking plan with free shuttle bus to any desired location in the city centre